Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pie 5: Espresso and Oreo Cream Pie

Pie 5: Easy, just how I like 'em!

What a great week! It seems like it's be months since I last posted on my blog, but obviously it was only a week ago! October, so far, has not let me down for being my favorite month of the year. I went up to Pumpkin Fest in Keene, New Hampshire this past weekend. The foliage, the food, the friends, and the festivities were great! While I was there it was a first for me, I made pumpkin french toast! YUMMMMMMMY! Being up north in the cold weather (it literally snowed) made me really miss New England during the holidays. However, as much as I missed it I was happy to return home and see my handsome man. With all the great weather, I am also happy to announce that I have found a job, which is going to challenge my ability to keep up with the commitment of the blog. Regardless of how dark the circles become under my eyes.... .... I won't let you ("my readers") down. "A Pie A Week" must go on!

Last week I received an email from a follower that requested a "simple and fast pie." She has kids and because of her busy workload she doesn't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen. I pondered ideas of pies and I believe that this is the fastest recipe I have. The best part of this recipe is that all these ingredients can be found at any grocery store, and possibly even a gas station, making it very convenient and quick. Don't let it's simplicity fool you, if you're making this for kids, a husband, or even a grandma you can "bet your meatloaf" that their plates will be licked clean!

Did you know this about OREOs?
Several small baking companies merged in the 19 century to form the National Biscuit Company (now called NaBisCo) and when they created the cookie, they were unaware that they created such a masterpiece. Today, the OREO cookie is the most sold cookie in the world. It's not a wonder why it's called, "America's Favorite Cookie"! The name OREO comes from a very complex and difficult explanation. (Hold on to your lug-nuts because this is going to get confusing). The name is a combination of taking the "re" from the word "cream" and placing it between the two "o"s in "chocolate" - making "o-re-o." To me, this sounds like poppycock, but whatever... In Greek OREO means "mountain", making me very skeptical. Why would we name a cookie after a mountain? I'm sure there's a mountain shaped like an OREO out there somewhere. Maybe we need to go to Greece and check out their landscape.

Regardless if you dip them in milk, twist them to get to the cream, or eat them plain you've contributed to the 400 billion OREO cookies that have been sold since their introduction!


Espresso and Oreo Cream Pie:

OREO Pie Crust:
25 Oreo cookies (with the cream removed)
1 stick of butter (melted)

Place the OREOs in the food processor and process finely. (If you do not have a food processor you can place the OREOs in a plastic bag and smash it with a hammer, rolling pin, can of Spaghetti Ohs or your boyfriend's cell phone.) Set aside 1 Tbsp of OREO crumbs for dusting the top of the pie. Place the rest of the OREO crumbs into a medium sized bowl and stir constantly while slowly incorporating the butter.

Place crumbs and butter mixture into a pie pan and firmly press the crust with a metal spoon. Make sure the crust goes up the sides of the pie pan and that it is evenly spread over the entire pie pan. Place in freezer.

Oreo Espresso Pie Filling
12-18 OREOS (broken into pieces)
8 oz cream cheese
1/3 cup of sugar
1 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 Tbsp instant espresso
(optional 1 tsp orange food coloring; obviously if you don't have orange you can mix yellow and red)

In a medium sized bowl, cream together the sugar and the cream cheese. If you'd like to make a Halloween themed pie you can add the tsp of orange food coloring. You can also get Halloween OREOs to make it even more festive). Stir in the OREO pieces and espresso. In a separate small bowl whip the heavy cream until peaks form and it's the texture of Cool Whip. With a rubber spatula to fold-in the whipped cream with the rest of the mixture. Place the filling into the OREO crust. Evenly spread out the filling. Sprinkle the extra OREO crumbs on top of the pie as well as a sprinkle of espresso. You can decorate the top of the pie with additional OREOS however you'd like. Place in freezer for at least 2 hours. Before serving let pie sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment